1 resist or confront with resistance; "The politician defied public opinion"; "The new material withstands even the greatest wear and tear"; "The bridge held" [syn: withstand, hold, hold up]
2 elude, especially in a baffling way; "This behavior defies explanation" [syn: resist, refuse] [ant: lend oneself]
- Rhymes: -aɪ
- A challenge.
- To renounce or dissolve all bonds of affiance, faith, or obligation with; to reject, refuse, or renounce.
- To provoke to combat or strife; to call out to combat; to challenge; to dare; to brave; to set at defiance; to treat with contempt; as, to defy an enemy; to defy the power of a magistrate; to defy the arguments of an opponent; to defy public opinion.
To renounce or desolve all bonds
- Kurdish: ,
To provoke to combat or strife
Defiance may refer to:
In film and theatre:
In other uses:
- HMS Defiance, nineteen ships of the British Royal Navy
- USS Defiance, three ships of the U.S. Navy
- Defiance Campaign, a 1951 anti-apartheid initiative by the African National Congress
- Defiance railway station, or Defiance Platform, a disused station on the Plymouth to Penzance Line in the UK
defy in German: Defiance
defy in French: Defiance
defy in Dutch: Defiance
defy in Polish: Defiance
defy in Volapük: Defiance
affront, attack, baffle, balk, battle cry, be a man, be proof against, bear up, bear up against, beard, bid defiance, bid to combat, blast, brave, brazen out, break, break the law, breast, bring before, bring forward, bring up, call out, care naught for, cartel, challenge, checkmate, circumvent, confound, confront, confront with, contravene, counter, counteract, countermand, counterwork, cross, dare, dash, declare war, defeat, defi, deride, destroy, discomfit, disconcert, discountenance, dish, disobey, disregard, disrupt, do violence to, double dare, double-dare, elude, encounter, endure, envisage, face, face out, face with, flout, flummox, foil, front, frustrate, gage, gage of battle, gauntlet, gibe, glove, go counter to, have the guts, have the nerve, hold out, hold up, ignore, infringe, knock the chocks, lay before, levy war on, make bold to, make war on, meet, meet squarely, mock, nonplus, not conform, not heed, not keep, not listen, not mind, not observe, open hostilities, outdare, outface, perplex, place before, present to, put it to, rebel yell, rebuff, refuse to cooperate, repel, repulse, resist, ridicule, ruin, sabotage, scoff at, scorn, scotch, scout, scream defiance, set at defiance, set at naught, set before, set naught by, show fight, spike, spoil, stand, stand up, stand up to, stare down, stem, stonewall, stump, thwart, trample on, trample underfoot, trample upon, transgress, trespass, upset, venture, violate, war cry, war whoop, withstand